28 January 2021

Hey Diddle Diddle

Finals approach, West Desaru MOPU on 15 Jan 2021. First flight of 2021. First flight Right Hand Seat.


I have been away from this blog for 6 months. That's not a good show in a realm where each flight day is always eventful, and yet, I have been swamped by a lethargy which self discipline could not override.  I simply could not muster the spirit to write with any anecdotal conclusivity.

It's not only that Covid19 has inundated the entire planet, but that closer to home, and many aviators will agree, things do not look altogether prospective even with the buzz of a vaccine on the horizon.  This isn't about a lack of gratitude at still holding down a job, as we can all readily acknowledge that unemployment is a parallel epidemic on its own, holding hands with Corona like the dish that ran away with the spoon. It is rather an indication of the climate hovering over Kerteh for the indefinite present. Rumours of downsizing and who's next haunt the hangar while all hands on deck, from boss to janitor, move on from day to day, some prayerfully and some others yet, slanderously.

HAZMAT ready fo a PUI flight
Over the past number of months, a few incidents have occured to break the monotony of skipping from payday to payday. Amongst the more interesting of those was my last carriage of two PUIs from MTC Ledang, an offshore vessel on 9 December. I had gone outbound garbed in a HAZMAT suit et alia, and later at night was celebrating the little adventure over dinner and drinks with my colleague Niel, when the ominous call came from my Chief Pilot telling me that those two boys tested positive for Covid19. That didn't stop either  Niel or I from downing the last drop of soju, but both of us were called by Ministry Of Health representatives later in the unholiest hours of the night to notify us to be prepared to be quarantined. By late morning, Niel was whisked away to a quarantine centre in Marang. The MOH deemed that since I was in full HAZMAT suit, gloves, and remained in the cockpit protected by the cockpit barrier, I did not fall into the definition of "close contact" and could be left unattended to till someone higher up the payscale decided that I needed government branded TLC. I am glad to announce, that nobody loved me.

The rest of the year took a rapid swing like a tail rotor drive failure, to change my Christmas hols. I was unexpectedly assigned together with a colleague, to ground classes and simulator training spanning from 21 Dec 2020 to 3 January 2021. Yes, any course which runs from one year to the next cannot be trivialised. While I rued the lost time with the family initially, and for only nanoseconds, I realised that I had other ghosts to exorcise. Returning to the same classroom where I had been two years back, unreeled the trauma and ensuing phobia of  my initial course.
Hey Captain Alfredo! Who's The Coolest Guy now? Please read https://hobbit1964.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-coolest-guy.html

With a rather different outcome to the course this time, I surmise that we are not be held ransom to our past forever. I have it on good authority that anyone who sets his hand to the plough and then turns to look backward isn't fit for the Kingdom Of Heaven. Just like flying from the right hand seat, sometimes all we need, is a change of perspective. 

4 comments:

  1. happy new year!!!!! Your blogs have certainly been missed and a most welcome return to the blog. It has been a very tough year for many people, weather professionally or personally. But healthy and resilience we must stay!!! The realities of the 'new norm" are all too real. Despite the xmas ground training, I hope the North East monsoon has treat you well and kept you and the family safe. Stay safe and fly safe. Happy Landings and hope to see more blogs this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you sir. I have been wondering how you have been keeping things together, and your visit tells me you're bobbing above the waters. I am definitely back, and am currently scrambling to log 100 hours on the right hand seat to get my new epaulettes. This part is a drag as I can only fly with training captains till the 100 hours are done.
    The new norm does bite, and many of us get chewed up and spat out. Thankfully, there are many local initiatives to get staples to the needy. We cannot wait for the government to be inspired, as from the educational sphere right down to social justice and charity, they are more about spinning webs while the sun shines. They do what they do, and we do what we must.
    I will be back soon sir. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir, I am just inquiring with the 100hrs on the RHS has been completed and the shoulders are a little heavier with the extra bar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir, please forgive my long absence. I blinked, and am now in May already. I am 7 hours short of the 100 hours. I am drafting a blogpost. Should be published tonight or tomorrow. Humblest apologies!

    ReplyDelete