01 August 2022

The Honeymoon Is Over.

I am not unaccustomed to the months slipping through my fingers like sand between one blogpost to the next, and that they have done since I got here in KK. Unlike the way it was in Kerteh the past year, it was because I didn't fly enough. The converse is the reason for my negligence this time. One eventful sortie after another seems to crush one week rapidly into the next in merciless succesive collision. I do not regret this. I already know that I would never wish to return to the way things were. Reminiscence carries no comfort here.

I have gradually slipped into a bit of a comfort zone with being the captain now. I am more familiar with the copilots. The one who tries to over control the captain. The one who seems ill prepared for flight and slurs in his radio calls, but who actually has it all together, with situational awareness and motor skills I cannot argue against. The one who asks ridiculous questions in flight to test the captain's replies. Yes, a wonderful mixed bag, and when you finally fly with people who were once copilots along with you, there are personality traits which start to crawl out from under their woodwork. Some are frauds. Some yet, are true to none but themselves. I love the insights I have gained. I am sure they in turn, are doing a Brutus on me in their own selected company.

But I will have one takeaway from these four months. I cannot write in arrears what I owe this blog. What I put down here requires a freshness of recollection and perspective. It cannot be Herodotusian. Therefore I will try, now onward, to write when I am still in the event. It is indeed as it is with life itself. You have to be present. Or else you could miss it all from blinking too many times.

You have my apologies, The Collective Consciousness. I will be more nurturing. Because at last, the captain's honeymoon is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment